Display Backgrounds

 Once I had created the info boards I realised that the white text against the stone backgrounds in each case was unreadable. To remedy this I started creating some background graphics. The size of the case wasn't far from a 16:9 ratio so I started creating the graphics 1920x1080.


For the guitars I wanted influential players using the specific model they were showcasing in the display. I had to find various stage photographs and select various blending modes to effectively darken the background. Some of the backgrounds are still present but I faded them out into the darkness using a softened eraser. Although I was erasing the backgrounds I still wanted it to look like they were on stage and with the rectangular light at the top of the case it created the perfect spotlight effect.


I chose Randy Rhoads to represent the Jackson RR Minion, the guitar named after him, Angus Young from AC/DC for the Gibson SG, Bryan Adams for the Fender Telecaster and Kirk Hammett from Metallica for the Ibanez Stratocaster.



This meant the text from the UI was now visible against the background and it made each display case seem more coherent as its own exhibition. Having had success with these first two I wanted to carry this on. I next created a background for the Middle-earth assets.


I divided the background up into 3 images and ordered them in a way that would make sense with the flow of the background (The Shire, Argonath, Barad-dûr/Mount Doom). The characters on the background show their depictions in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.


The background for the fossils was my next background and I think it is perfect for that exhibition. I first got an image of empty ocean and an ocean floor separately, blending them together with a soft eraser. I then got various images of the species that the fossils once belonged to.


Getting the trilobites to be the correct perspective took quite a bit of time as well as adding the rocks with the starfish and making it look natural. I added a blue overlay to the image so that all of the images had a blue tint making them look like they were underwater.


The addition of these backgrounds, like with the guitars, makes the exhibit seem more coherent and better represents what they are about.

Comments

Popular Posts