Eivor Scan

 For my first creation I wanted to scan some of my own collectables from Assassin's Creed. I have 3 resin statues from the collector's editions of Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla that each show the game's playable characters in a battle stance.

My initial idea was to scan each of these to have as collectables separately but I then changed this idea to have all of them in a miniature scene, fighting an enemy that I would have modelled.

Unfortunately, because of the size of these models, the software struggled to accurately reproduce them with only 50 images (3DF Zephyr Free limit).

After trying to create this model with a variety of the software setting combinations the result always had similar issues: the white outline from the background, solid mesh in places the camera could not see and fragments both losing details and adding unnecessary connections.





For a final attempt, I tried changing how I approached the initial video for creating the scan. I did a spiralling rotation of the object, much faster, so to keep to the 50 second limit (one frame per second for each camera in zephyr), and to capture more detail I did each 360 degree rotation much closer to the object.


This created a much more detailed and intact mesh but the problems were still numerous and would be very difficult to fix without destroying important parts of the mesh.


The detail captured using this method does make me eager to retry this but for now I think for now this model will have to be placed on hold. The greater size and intricacy of these collectables aren't something I am used to working with but with more practice with photogrammetry I hope to revisit this and make it successful.

Comments

Popular Posts