Museum Creation

Using an old modular building from my second year at university, I was able to create a museum/gallery space to display my finished assets as if they were part of a exhibition.


This project used hand-painted tiling textures so, after rearranging some UVs, I took the assets into substance painter. Using this marble wall material I found on Substance Share I was able to quickly create the colour texture I wanted and used the offset tool to line up the mortar on the wall and columns. The white marble trims are the same material, different colour and at a smaller scale with the brick normals removed. The wooden doors and window frames are the basic walnut material from substance and the glass I created in UE4.


Using the starter assets I was able to create some quite realistic and cosy lighting for the room. I decided to manually add shadows to the light fixtures using cylinders in order to give the effect that the light was passing through a semi transparent material of the fixture. I also created a very basic ceiling sign using the geometry tool. to hang above the exhibits. After adding god rays to the directional light I decided to adjust the time of day to give it a somewhat 'Night at the Museum' feeling by making the environment a bit more private.


I created a very basic display case designed to go back to back with others with a divider in the middle. I textured it with a simple substance wood and placed a non-uniform, glass cube in the from to provide reflections. The divider is also a scaled cube with UE4's poured concrete material from the starter content. The cases are lit using a long, rectangular light pointing down from the top of the case.


The floor (ceramic tile checker) and ceiling (concrete poured) are also materials from the starter content. I think the checkered floor tied the whole museum look together very nicely.


I placed some older assets in the cases to see how well the cases worked as well as the ones from my Middle-Earth collection.




Comments

Popular Posts