Gandalf's Pipe

 After finding that modelling from reference resulted in better models as opposed to designing my own I decided to find more objects that already have visual representations within the Middle-Earth universe and would make cool collectables for a Middle-Earth game.

I chose to model Gandalf's pipe and found a view of it from the side, stored within his staff. I took it into Photoshop to isolate and highlight the pipe for an image plane.



Because I didn't have a clear image of where the pipe meets the stem meets the bowl I decided to model them in two separate parts as many modern pipe are detachable for cleaning purposes.

The stem I modelled using a CV curve and then scaling the multiple edge loops to fit the taper and give it some variation in shape and distortion. I also used a bevelled 3 sided cylinder to create a unique shape for it.


I extruded a hole in either side to create the illusion that the hole ran all the way through.

For the bowl I used a cylinder and traced the outline using edge loops. I then deleted the top faces, duplicated it, scaled it and combined the meshes to create the inside and ensure it was similar thickness all around the model. I also made sure to create a curved side leading towards the stem where the two would connect.



The stem was easy to UV map but the bowl was quite difficult. I decided to cut it into quarters and hope that with the help of the wood grain the seam wouldn't be very noticeable.

I used two different woods for the two parts to give it some variation which I then decorated with carvings.


The first carving I used was this design that someone made based upon Gandalf's carving he leaves on Bilbo's door in the Hobbit. The second carving I took from this Celtic tattoo design from Pinterest which I then had to loop around the stem and connect it in various places. I chose the Celtic design because it looked very similar to an Elvish carving and due to Gandalf's good relationship with the Elves I thought it seemed quite fitting.












I am very pleased with the result and think it is a good addition to my collection of collectables.


Comments

Popular Posts