Completionist Mindset

I would somewhat count myself as a completionist although I have been through phases of this in recent years. While I do not try to 100% every game I play, I do revel in the feeling of fully completing games I thoroughly enjoy.

One of the earliest games I remember completing was Assassin's Creed. The most tedious task was collecting 420 crusade flags throughout the world which I was able to complete without the help of a guide or walkthrough.












While this task was rather boring, it gave me the opportunity to explore every part of the world and when it was completed I had this great sense of achievement knowing I had put a lot of time and effort into this task. Part of this sensation was definitely the relief of it being finish but there was a sense of pride there as well.

With the development of content creators on YouTube, it has allowed people such as Jirard Khalil, aka The Completionist, to become quite successful by playing a game with the sole purpose of finishing the game with 100% completion. Below is a break-down of the show's structure and how he analyses the entire game in-depth.












His rating system determines the value of completing the game fully and if it is indeed worth the time. 

His views on Assassin's Creed are very much in line with my own in that, while we must pay homage to this game for the creation of the series, it's side quest and collectable system is so outdated and gives no additional content to the player other than additional hours of unnecessary game time. I believe this to be a product of the time as I did find that sense of achievement from completing it when I first played it, however, games have developed so much since the game's first release in 2007 which has given us the gift of hindsight that these methods for side content don't cut it in the games industry anymore.

The most recent game I have been sinking time into is Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I have completed the main story and gathered all the collectables but the game is far from finished. There are plenty of achievements left acquire but I am currently in a dilemma choosing between 100% completing Shadow of Mordor or moving onto Shadow of War. I am unsure if I will return to Shadow of Mordor if I move onto Shadow of War but I know I do want to complete it. I'm sure this mindset would appear odd to some people as they would not hesitate to move onto the next game and this is what I want to explore.

Comments

Popular Posts