Getting Motivated

To test and develop my passion for modelling Middle-Earth-based props, I chose to model a very simple but very prominent model within the world; the One Ring.

I used plenty of reference imagery to create this and I had little uncertainty because of thatThis allowed me to quickly create a model of great importance and test my ability in all areas of the model making process; modelling, UV mapping and texturing. Since I was able to complete this within a matter of hours, I chose to make a second texture for the ring; the ring's hidden inscription.
















The inscription was written in Black Speech and reads:

One Ring to rule them all,

One Ring to find them;

One Ring to bring them all

and in the darkness, bind them.

I cut the inscription up into its 4 lines and used an alpha in substance to make this into a height, normal and emission map for the object.



Just for fun, I then took the object into UE4 and created a blueprint that allowed the textures to be switched on a key-press.

The result of this mini-project confirmed that I am passionate about making props from this fantasy world that I enjoy. This was definitely helped by the abundance of reference, rather than jumping straight in at the deep end which could be something else to explore during this project.

Comments

Popular Posts