Evaluation

By basing a lot of my initial research on the Middle Earth games, I was hard-pressed to stray from that too much as I think it perfectly represents what I am trying to convey with my project, however, I have found other interesting ways to approach this concept as well as my initial idea.

There are a lot of logistics when looking at a macro approach to modelling for games, which I have discovered along the way, and I have come to the following conclusion; it can be acceptable to spend extra hours modelling assets of importance and/or collectables with high detail so long as those assets serve a purpose within the game. Whether that purpose is to deepen the player's understanding of the world around them, provide the player with hints/clues as to where to go/what to do next, or improves the players experience by providing them with something as a reward.

There are many ways to approach these high-detail assets and ensure the time spent on them is worthwhile. These assets can be appreciated by all players and even more so by any who may be especially invested in the game's universe. They could be turned into merchandise if they become a prominent part of the game and add extra value to the franchise. For me, the most important aspect of this is the ability to model assets as intricately as possible without the restrictions of the game engine being so scrutinising.

I have found, both from this project and previous ones, that giving myself the time to be as creative and as free as I want with my models results in assets that I am much more proud of and excited to display. I think this can be achieved more often in the games industry through things such as inspectable items/collectables so long as they serve a purpose.

Comments

Popular Posts